President, Young Lawyers Section
May 2015, President's Message
Mark your calendars for this year’s Young Lawyer Section events at the State Bar Convention in June.
- Legalpalooza begins at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 17 in the Gazeebo Courtyard. At 5:45 p.m., we will announce the Young Lawyer of the Year.
- The Poverty Simulation is at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 18. It is open to attorneys, spouses, law students, office support staff, and court reporters.
- The Road Race 5K and 1 mile will begin at 8:00 a.m. at Founders Park on Friday, June 19. There will be prizes for the fastest times in each age division, a prize for the fastest young lawyer, and a prize for the oldest surviving finisher. And, be assured, there will be t-shirts for all participants!
- The Donation Drive is an ongoing online event to benefit the South Dakota Family Visitation Centers. There will be a computer at the Young Lawyer Section table, where you can go online and purchase items from the Target Registry. There will also be a registry list available on the table, from which you can select items to purchase. Finally, you can make a free-will donation, which will be used to purchase registry items.
- “I am a SOUTH DAKOTA LAWYER” coffee mugs will be for sale at the Bar Convention. Find Jennifer Williams or Beth Overmoe during the Convention to purchase a mug or mugs! The cost is $8.00; proceeds to go toward the Donation Drive.
- Elections for the Young Lawyer Circuit Representative positions in the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th Judicial Circuits, the Secretary-Treasurer position, and the President-Elect position will be held during the Annual Meeting on Friday, June 19. If you are a young lawyer in one of those circuits and are interested in being a Board member, please email me of your interest. The Bylaws provide that a young lawyer interested in being elected shall, “at least thirty days in advance of the election for that position,” submit his or her name to the YL President and “his or her written intent or declaration of interest in pursuing such position.” However, the Bylaws also allow us to take nominations from the floor the day of the election. If you have questions, email or call me!
New this year—the Young Lawyers Board is working with the law school to connect law students interested in attending the convention with volunteer lawyers through “Project Connect.” The law students and lawyers will be connected by our Board prior to the Convention based on a survey filled out by interested law students. Project Connect is also open to lawyers new to the Convention. If you are interested or know someone interested in being connected, please let me know.
Thank you to all the attorneys that volunteered for the various
Law Day events held across the State. Whether you were an attorney that went to a school or were an attorney that coordinated the effort in your respective circuit, the Young Lawyers Board appreciates your time and talents.
Cheers until next month!
SD YLS President
Mentorship Application | Mentee Application
Bylaws of Young Lawyers